Monday, November 05, 2012

striped cowl (pattern)

striped cowl

I haven't finished my longer cowl yet but I wanted to pop in and share how to make your own. It's an easy pattern to follow.

You need worsted weight yarn and a size 5 hook.

Round 1: Ch 55 and join (try not to twist the chain as you join), sc into each ch. (55 st)
Round 2: sc into back loop of each stitch, do not join, you can use a stitch marker to mark the beginning stitch. (55 st)
Round 3: repeat round 2 (55 st)
Round 4: switch to second color and repeat rounds 2 & 3 (55 st)

Continue until you get to your desired length and sew the two ends of the tube together. You have your own striped cowl!

For a cowl with stripes like mine, I started with two colors alternating, after my first color had six stripes, I switched to a third color and continued until my second had six as well. I continued until I got to the first color again. Now that I write it out, it sounds confusing! Here's an example in letters, think of them as colors:

A B A B A B A B A B A
B C B C B C B C B C B
C D C D C D C D C D C
D A D A D A D A D A D


I hope that makes sense! If you have any questions, please ask!

Have fun making your own cowl!